The original Glasgow Mauchline Society was formed amidst great enthusiasm on the 10th February 1888 at a meeting in the Alexandra Hotel, Glasgow convened by Mr. J. Leiper Gemmill, and attended by a large number of people connected with Mauchline either by birth or residence.
By 1885 the Society was fully established and the Directors decided to build a museum in the shape of a tower with six cottage homes for deserving elderly people who had fallen on hard times.
The site chosen was near Mossgiel Farm in Mauchline where Robert Burns lived and worked as a young man and wrote some of his finest poems.
As a result of recent conversions there are now 18 cottages in total.
The work of the Homes continues, perpetuating the wish of the original founders to maintain a living memorial to Scotland's National Poet.
Contact Us: Enquires in relation to the homes can be made through our Secretary:
George M. Ross
Tel: 01360 440751